Customized Mouth Guards in Naples, FL
Mouth guards protect your teeth. They also help with sleeping. So, whether running for the ball or just running to bed, a mouth guard can do a lot to help you maintain a healthier, happier smile.
Who Needs a Mouth Guard?
Contact sports are here for a while. How can you protect your smile? Mouth guards. From chipped teeth to knocked out teeth, mouth guards help prevent injuries by reducing the impact of face or mouth accidents. Additionally, people with sleep apnea or chronic snoring may benefit from a mouth guard because it repositions the jaw to open the airway. So, whether running for the ball or just running to bed, a mouth guard can do a lot to help you maintain a healthier, happier smile.
5 Reasons for a Mouth Guard
1. You or your child participates in any contact sports or activities
2. You have a history of dental injuries or fractures
3. You experience teeth grinding or jaw clenching
4. You suffer from TMD or related jaw joint pain
5. You are undergoing orthodontic treatment and need additional protection for your teeth.
Types of Mouthguards
There are three types of mouthguards
- Stock mouthguards: These are made ready to wear. They are inexpensive and can be found at any sporting goods store, as well as most pharmacies. Little can be done in the way of adjusting the fit of the mouthguards. They are bulky and make breathing and talking difficult. They also provide little in the way of protection.
- Boil and bite mouthguards: This is another mouthguard that can be found in any sporting goods store, and most pharmacies. These have a better fit than stock mouth protectors. The mouthguard is place in hot water to soften it. Then, it is placed in the mouth and shaped around the teeth using finger and tongue pressure.
- Custom fitted mouthguards: These mouthguards are designed and made in the dental office or a professional dental lab based on your dentist’s instructions. They are created from an impression of your teeth. A mouthguard is the molded over using a special material. This is the most expensive of the three options, but it provides the most comfort, the best fit, and the most protection.
Boil and Bite Mouthguards
Mouthguard Care Instructions
To properly care for your mouthguard
- Rinse your mouthguard: Before and after every use of the mouthguard you should rinse it off with cold water or mouth rinse. You can also clean your mouthguard with mild soap and a toothbrush.
- Clean your mouthguard: A thorough cleaning of your mouthguard should be done often with cool, soapy water, and then rinse it thoroughly.
- Store your mouthguard: Keep your mouthguard in a firm, perforated container. This allows air circulation and helps keep it from getting damaged. If the mouthguard is acrylic, it should be stored in fresh clean water when you’re not using it.
Important Statistics About Mouth Guards
- A 2019 systematic review and meta-analysis found the prevalence of dental trauma among mouthguard users to be 7.5% to 7.75% compared to 48.31% to 59.98% among non-users, and that mouthguard users were between 82% and 93% less likely to suffer dentofacial injuries.1
- In a 2007 meta-analysis of studies of team contact sports,researchers found that the risk of orofacial injury was 1.6 – 1.9 times higher in players who did not use a mouthguard of any type.1
82% - 93%
Mouthguard users less likely to suffer dentofacial injuries.
1.6 - 1.9x
Risk of orofacial injury in players who did not use a mouthguard
Choose Naples Smiles Dentistry for the Best Mouth Guards
Here at Naples Smiles Dentistry we are committed to you and your smile. Our experienced team of dental professionals practice the latest techniques and apply advanced technology to ensure top-quality, personalized dental care. We understand your concerns. We offer customized comfort and prime protection to treat your specific needs. To schedule a consultation, please call at 239-280-3646.
Our Mouth Guards Dental Team
At Naples Smiles Dentistry, our dental team in Naples provides custom mouth guards for patients of all ages and needs.
Custom Mouth Guards for All Needs
We offer dental night guards for patients who suffer from teeth grinding or jaw clenching, sports mouth guards for athletes to protect their teeth and mouth during contact sports, and dental mouth guards to prevent dental injuries and fractures. Our team uses advanced technology to create customized mouth guards tailored to each patient's unique needs, ensuring maximum comfort and protection.
Protect your smile with a custom mouth guard from Naples Smiles Dentistry. Whether you need a sports mouth guard or a dental night guard for teeth grinding, our skilled team is here to provide you with personalized and effective protection. Call us today to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards a healthier smile.
Dental Issues That Could Require Emergency Dental Care
- Toothache or sever dental pain
- Broken or chipped tooth
- Lost or knocked out tooth
- Swelling or infection in the mouth or jaw
- A lost or losse orthodontic appliance (such as a bracket or wire)
- Trauma or injury to the moth or jaw
- Abscess or pus-filled pocket on the gums
- A broken or lost dental restoration (such as a filling or crown)
- Gum bleeding that doesn't stop
Mouth Guards FAQs
How much does a mouth guard cost at Naples Smiles Dentistry?
The cost of a mouth guard depends on the type and level of customization required. At Naples Smiles Dentistry, we offer affordable prices for high-quality, personalized mouth guards.
Can I use a boil-and-bite mouth guard from a sports store?
Although boil-and-bite mouth guards are readily available, they do not offer the same level of protection and customization as professionally fitted mouth guards. We recommend using a custom mouth guard from our dental office for maximum protection and comfort.
How often should I replace my mouth guard?
Mouth guards can wear out or get damaged over time, so it is essential to replace them every one to two years or sooner if they are damaged or show signs of wear and tear.
Can children use mouth guards?
Yes, children can use mouth guards for protection during sports activities. We offer customized mouth guards for children that are designed to fit their smaller mouths.
How long does it take to get a mouth guard?
It takes approximately one to two weeks to create a custom mouth guard. However, we offer emergency services for dental injuries that require immediate attention.
1Athletic Mouth Protectors Mouthguards. Athletic Mouth Protectors (Mouthguards) | American Dental Association. (n.d.). Retrieved April 14, 2023, from https://www.ada.org/resources/research/science-and-research-institute/oral-health-topics/athletic-mouth-protectors-mouthguards